Underwater Room, Pemba Island
We love new experiences, but this was an absolute first for us. And the coolest thing we’ve seen in ages. Pemba Island’s Underwater Room is a luxury pad actually below the very gently lapping waves of the Zanzibar archipelago. That’s right: you’ll be spending the most astonishing night of your life four metres below the sea surface.
Be it at sunset, at daybreak, or any time during the night – with the aid of underwater spotlights – you’ll be face to face with shoals of rare, shimmering tropical fish as they peer innocently in through the panoramic glass windows.
Magical creatures like octopus and Spanish dancers inhabit the crystal-clear waters and thriving coral all around the Underwater Room. Indeed, since it was first securely tethered to the seabed, coral has flourished on the structure and the cables themselves, so the whole thing has become part of the local conservation area, with no impact on the inquisitive wildlife.
A night here, 250 metres from the shore and the main Manta Resort, includes arriving at the landing deck and sumptuous drinks and dinner served on the lounge level (there’s a security guard stationed nearby, attached to a buoy), before you descend to the sub-surface bedroom with its king-size double bed for an aquatic dreamscape like nothing else.
At A Glance…
- This unique concept has 3 levels – the landing deck at sea level with a lounge area and a ladder leading up to the roof, perfect for sunbathing by day and stargazing at night. Finally, the underwater room where the bedroom is located providing guests with almost 360 degree viewing of the ocean.
- Pemba Island is part of Tanzania’s Zanzibar Archipelago.
- Tranquil and beautiful, the island is a remote gem accessed most frequently via a short flight from Zanzibar or Dar es Salaam.
- The Manta Resort itself is a five star retreat at the northern tip of the island with a total of 18 seafront or secluded garden rooms.
Why 360 Loves It…
- The Underwater Room is a once in a lifetime opportunity and unique experience – there aren’t many places in the world where you can say you have slept under water!
- A kayak, snorkels and fins are provided for you to explore the ocean – the waters here are crystal clear making it easy to see the abundance of marine life.
- You have your own service fundi to assist you personally. The service is superb and everything is extremely relaxed.
- Lush, tropical vegetation inland and some of the world’s best diving in the surrounding unspoiled coral reefs.