The Ultimate Travelling Camp
Every day you stay at Chamba Camp – and assuming you’re awake early enough – you’ll gaze out at Thiksey Monastery in the valley below, bathed in morning light of exquisite quality, and be eternally glad you made it here.
It’s a very long way from tourist-trodden India, and is one of a handful of traveller-style camps hidden in the mountainous Ladaky district. This is the northernmost part of India, sparsely populated and with altitudes of up to 6500m.
Bud don’t imagine for one moment that you’re annexed from civilisation.
For one thing, the tents in this little settlement set new standards for sumptuousness – there’s a butler service, a beautiful bathroom, a private verandah, and a writing desk with spectacular views where you can harvest your thoughts.
For another, your daily excursions will immerse you in the remote beauty and ancient traditions of the surrounding area. It’s a place of stunning contrasts.
You’ll be immersed in a thunderous polo match in the very region where the royal game originated; then you’ll be taking morning prayers with Buddhist monks. You’ll be going on long walks through ancient villages or Old Leh City, and then rediscovering traditional dances and music performed by a dedicated troupe of local performers.
Meanwhile, mountain-biking over Wari La, the world’s fourth-highest mountain pass, and rafting down the River Indus provide life-affirming thrills.
Believe us, if you perspire at all then it’s down to exhilaration and not the humidity; this is one of India’s coolest spots, with daily temperature of 10-32 degrees for the limited May-October time you can visit. We’d love to return again and again to replenish mind and body.
At A Glance…
- A collection of currently five camps offering a ‘glamping’ experience set in some of the most remote locations of India.
- 18 luxury air-conditioned tents overlooking the Thiksey Monastery all with an en-suite bathroom, four poster beds with memory foam mattresses and your very own private butler.
- There is an in-house restaurant, outside area with a barbeque and the fish pond deck perfect for private dining experiences.
Why 360 Loves It…
- There are several experiences that you can take part in including exploring the Buddhist Monasteries, walks through remote villages and activities such as rafting and polo – the sport of the Royals.
- It is a truly unique experience, perfect for those of you who like to get off the beaten track.
- There are 3, 4, 5 and 7 night itineraries available, perfect to combine with a longer trip to India.