The Fish, Cotswolds
You’ll find your treehouse hidden away on the beautiful, 400-acre Farncombe Estate deep in the Cotswolds, which has new Danish owners. They want to imbue everything on the land with the simple, homely spirit of ‘hygge’ (pronounced “hoo-ga”) which in Denmark means warm and cosy.
So the three treehouses are fashioned from Siberian larch and have a cocooning, oval form. Don’t be deceived, though; you won’t be sleeping on old sacks. The luxuriously woody interiors feature a divine double bed, and a separate bathroom and bunk-space, the stylish décor is by interior designer Hannah Lohan. You’ll never be chilly thanks to underfloor heating, and you can sip a nightcap while listening intently to the nocturnal soundtrack of the woodlands outside.
The treehouses are but one part of the estate’s The Fish hotel, which also includes conventional rooms and suites in a converted coach house, and some rustic ‘Hilly Huts’ dotted around the rolling hillsides, each with a private hot tub and chiminea. There are also two shepherd-style hideaway huts, with lovely outdoor baths.
You’ll find plenty to do, from just tramping the tracks (they’ll loan you the wellies) and gulping down the fresh air to visiting the local gin distillery. The Hook restaurant, run by Michelin Star chef Martin Burge, is where to sate the evening appetite, or you can have a giant outdoor barbie… before sneaking off in the gathering dusk for another night in those treetops. PS: shaggy dogs welcome – they’ll love this outdoorsy treat…
At A Glance…
- The Fish is one of three hotels set within the 400-acre private Farncombe Estate. The other hotels on the estate are Dormy House and Foxhill Manor.
- The Fish features 62 rooms and suites, 5 hilly huts that come equipped with hot tubs and 3 treehouses allowing you to relive your childhood.
- The Fish has so much to do on site including The Fish Film Club – showcasing new releases and classics, for when the British weather lets you down.
Why 360 Loves It…
- We love that The Fish is a dog friendly hotel – allowing your pooch to stay in your room with you as well as some activities for them to take part in including the dog agility course.
- The Fish really lives up to its name with the onsite restaurant, Hook, providing some culinary delights using fresh and responsibly sourced fish.
- Segwaying is an activity that you have to do when staying here!