SKY, Anantara Kihavah
We wish we’d been here in February this year, really. On one night, at 4pm, in the hushed environment of the SKY Observatory at the beautiful Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, guests were stunned by the beauty of what they could see: Jupiter, Saturn and Mars simultaneously in breath-taking, other-worldly clarity.
For any professional astronomer, that would be a life-enhancing event. But vistas like this are likely almost any time here. The light pollution is tiny, at 5-6%, so exploring the Milky Way with the Observatory’s fantastic telescope – the most powerful in the region – is full of possibilities every night.
What’s more, the resident ‘Sky Guru’ at Anantara, Ali Shameem, is an eminent and passionate astronomer who, because he grew up on an island nearby without electricity, knows the night sky like his personal playground. He runs three nightly sessions for up to eight people at a time, or a private session if you wish, in the purpose-built Ash-dome – the only over-water observatory in the Maldives – floating above the clear, sparkling Maldives waters.
When you stay here, the snorkelling, swimming and up-closeness to the abundant sea-life are everything you could hope for. Meanwhile, each evening can begin or end in possibly the most exotic cocktail bar on the planet, adjacent to the Observatory and with ocean views in every direction; what they can produce by mixing white rum and Earl Grey tea almost defies belief. You’ll be watching the sunset and seeing the 15,000 stars visible with the naked eye materialise in the twilight, ready for you to explore through the telescope in incredible close-up detail… only 30 million light years away.
At A Glance…
- Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas is surrounded by the azure waters of Baa Atoll and is just a 35 minute seaplane transfer from Male Airport.
- Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas was voted the world’s most instagrammable hotel – it is truly amazing.
- A collection of 80 villas and residences that either float over water or along a pristine stretch of sand.
Why 360 Loves It…
- The Honeymoon stargazing session allows guests to pick a star and name it after your loved one.
- The Sky Bar is the perfect place for sundowners before going to the underwater restaurant for a fine dining experience surrounded by the sea.
- Anantara Kihavah has so much more to offer, snorkelling with manta rays is just one of the surreal experiences that you can do when staying here!