Kasbah Tamadot, Morocco
Morocco is hardly a novel destination any longer, and you’ve probably experienced – or heard about from friends – a trip there that’s had its plus and minus points. Us too.
So we think Kasbah Tamadot probably offers the country’s finest in luxury hideaways, with ready access to the hustle and bustle of the Marrakech souks as and when you fancy it.
This year-round enclave is deep in rural Berber country, the Atlas mountains region, surrounded by ancient Islamic culture, nature and food. It’s owned by Sir Richard Branson, who was inspired to buy the place 20 years ago because his parents loved it so much.
Today it has 28 suites and rooms available, and 10 are inside wonderful Berber Tents furnished and dressed in the decorative, hand-crafted/woven/dyed/fringed style so emblematic of this ancient nomadic people. Some have their own private plunge pools too.
The Kasbah has been lavishly furnished with antiques that make it feel simultaneously historic and homely. The traditional and authentic atmosphere extends to the activities on offer once you’ve had a few days to totally unwind.
You can trek the locality on mules; spend quality times learning to slow-cook Moroccan/Berber cuisine almost as well as the chefs on-site; enjoy village music on flutes and drums; and delightful Moroccan tea parties and treasure hunts can be laid on for your children that will wean them off Disney and on to genuine experiences.
In Berber dialect, tamadot means ‘soft breeze’, but one of the delights of this Kasbah is that you can go when the temperature really suits you; it’s at its most intense in August, but for much of ‘our’ winter is beautifully balmy. We love being there at any time of year, and you will too.
At A Glance…
- Sir Richard Branson’s Moroccan property and part of Virgin’s Limited Edition collection – a collection of unique retreats and luxury hotels.
- Located just over an hour from Marrakech – perfect for a day out to experience even more of the Moroccan culture.
- Direct flights from several UK airports taking just under 4 hours.
Why 360 Loves It…
- A magical place perfect for rest and relaxation.
- Dine al fresco next to the beautiful infinity pool bar or on the rooftop terrace underneath the stars.
- We think the luxury Berber tents are the best accommodation here. All of the Berber tents have a private deck and some have their own jacuzzis!