Awasi Iguazu, Argentina
Once, the rainforest that sprawled across Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil was 20 times the size it is today. When you’re at Awasi Iguazú, it’s quite hard to imagine how large it really was because the verdant trees still surround you and stretch for miles all around. The hotel is made up of 14 villas and each one comes with an experienced private local guide and his 4×4 vehicle, which is on standby ready for you to explore at any time. Your guide will take you deep into the Misiones region’s wilder and less visited parts where you will experience so much more than the average traveller. The breadth of unforgettable excursions on offer includes kayaking through the jungle, wilderness picnics, trying ancient artisan crafts with (mildly bemused) local tribesfolk, and simply trekking below the canopy with the birds overhead and the wildlife in the undergrowth. Enjoy observing all the birds and wildlife as they go about their business in what’s left of one of the world’s greatest forests.
The Iguazú Falls, of course, are the colossal, crashing centrepiece of the region. Staying at Awasi will give you the privilege of entering the park through a private gate nearer to the Falls, allowing you time to explore before the hustle and bustle of the other tourists arrive, giving you the opportunity to take in the true atmosphere. Your guide will be with you every step of the way and take you wherever you want to go to capture their might and give you an unforgettable experience. The Falls stretch a mile-and-a-half across and depending on the water levels, there are between 150 and 300 of them to view as the Iguazú river plunges over the 88m-high Paraná Plateau. The biggest of all is the frighteningly spectacular Devil’s Throat. Stand and marvel at its thunder, and only when you’re ready your guide will turn the key and take you to yet another secret, off the beaten track vantage point.
After a magical day, you can spend the afternoon relaxing and reminiscing in your own private pool, nestled deep in the rainforest and surrounded by the wild. The day is sure to have worked up your appetite so you can look forward to the tasty Argentinian spread in the lodge’s fantastic restaurant, just across the raised walkway.
At A Glance…
- Awasi Iguazu features 14 stand-alone villas plus a main lodge that are built on stilts and spread throughout the jungle, positioned to offer the utmost privacy. There are 13 standard villas and 1 master villa all with outside decking and complete with sun loungers and personal plunge pools.
- Excursions at Awasi Iguazu include visiting Jesuit ruins, hidden waterfalls, kayaking through the jungle, bird watching and sharing time with local Guarani tribes.
- There are two other properties in the Awasi collection – one in Patagonia and one in Atacama.
Why 360 Loves It…
- The Awasi properties are unique as they are the only hotels in South America where each room has a personal guide and a 4WD vehicle – allowing you to really personalise your experience.
- Awasi Iguazu have worked with renowned biologists to create a series of excursions that go beyond the falls. From landscape to history, flora and fauna, the Misiones Province is a melting pot of contrasts and diversity.
- The Relais and Chateaux restaurant is for the exclusive use of Awasi guests, offering a daily menu using the finest local ingredients and always adapted to your requirements.