Just occasionally, we need a holiday where we can cut loose, play hard and basically regress to a childlike state. Here’s our pick ‘N’ mix of grown-up playgrounds.
1. Las Vegas
Crazy Las Vegas is the ultimate grown-up playground, but there are so many ways to ‘play’ aside from gambling…
- Pool parties Famous “big kids” like The Hoff and Prince Harry can be spotted cutting loose in pool party season, with MGM Grand, Encore, and The Cosmopolitan throwing some of the bests parties.
- Rides Try out Vegas’ record breaking roller coasters, and the gut-churning free fall ride at Stratosphere.
- Away from the the strip Hit up one of Vegas’ many race tracks in a Lamborghini, dig giant holes in a JCB, or try something completely different with Zombie Apocalypse paint balling or a road trip to Area 51.
- Shows The Lion King at Mandalay Bay is the largest and best theater production of the film in the world – our top pick of Vegas shows.
2. Costa Rica
A coloring box of incredible wildlife, Costa Rica brings out your sense of adventure whether you’re a child or an adult.
- Rafting Shake off workday life the moment you arrive by white-water rafting to the beautiful eco-retreat, Pacuare Lodge.
- Tree houses For a real Peter Pan experience, check out the Hidden Canopy tree houses in the Monteverde Cloud Forest, and Costa Verde 727 (a converted Boeing 727 which looks like it’s crash landed in the rain forest).
- Wildlife Monkeys stealing fruit at breakfast, tiny hatching turtles, dolphins, whales, and nocturnal critters.
- Zip-lining Fly through the rain forest canopy on the world’s largest network of zip-lines.
- Fireworks Watch an amazing “fireworks” display at the Arenal Volcano – one of the most active volcanoes in the world.
- Water parks Dubai has some of the best water parks in the world, including Aquavenure: famed for its clear flume that whooshes through a shark tank.
- Only in Dubai Ski in the world’s largest indoor ski-slope, ride a wind powered buggy over the dunes, and play a game of camel polo.
- Pearl-diving Head out in a dhow to experience the centuries old tradition of pearling, and if you find a pearl it’s yours to keep.
- Arabian nights Sleep in an underwater suite at Atlantis the Palm, or how about heading out into the desert for some Aladdin-style glamping beneath the stars?
The Kakslauttanen resort in the Arctic Circle is truly magical: like stepping into a wintry Narnia.
- Igloos Sleep in a cosy glass igloo and stare up at the twinkling night sky, or have an authentic Sami experience in a real snow igloo.
- Husky sledding Take the reins of a pack of huskies and rush through the snowy forest.
- Northern lights Definitely one for the bucket list, see the iridescent Aurora curtains with the help of an expert guide.
- Skidoo safari The most adrenaline packed way to explore the snowy landscape.
- Sleigh rides Wrap up in a sable, and hear the soft tinkle of bells as you’re pulled by horses or reindeer, before stopping off for hot chocolate.