Fregate Island, Seychelles
On a landmass roughly the size of Monaco, you’ll be sharing your unique Seychelles island with around 3000 Giant Aldabra tortoises, who roam freely in and out of the tropical jungle. You can admire rather more than just their slow-moving majesty; they have earned the run of the place because, thanks to a painstaking programme of conservation and ‘natural renovation’ on Fregate Island, their numbers have risen from a worryingly small population of 150 to today’s healthy 3000.
It’s but one part of what makes this a living and breathing gem. The jungle forest is another example of responsible and respectful husbandry. Fregate Island had been a worn-out plantation wasteland for 200 years until its natural habitat was reinstated with the planting of 100,000 correctly indigenous trees. That, in turn, has provided the environment for an absolute explosion in bird population, with 100 tropical species drawn to it – 13 of them making it their permanent roost. Their teeming numbers include the Seychelles Magpie Robin, once the second most endangered bird on earth but now energetically thriving once again.
In fact, such is the health of the island’s eco-system that it supplies over 70% of the fresh fruit and vegetables – and all of the fresh water – to the strictly limited number of 16 villas that share seven private beaches.
At A Glance…
- Located 4° south of the equator, on a 2.19 sq. km private island a 15 minute helicopter flight from Mahe.
- Stays include all dining and many activities along with a dedicated private butler to make all your arrangements.
- Just 16 luxurious private pool villas all with spacious pool deck, private infinity pool and Jacuzzi.
- Join resident environmentalists on guided nature walks to spot rare flora and curious birds.
Why 360 Loves It…
- A haven for wildlife – meet turtles, tortoises, marine life and wildlife all around the island.
- Space and privacy…only 45 guests on the island at one time. You can even privatise your own beach!
- Dine anywhere on the island you please – on the beach, in the plantation fields or Banyan Tree forest – the choice is yours.
- Great for couples and families alike – the Kids Club “Castaway” caters for children from 3 to 12.