Clayoquot Wilderness Reserve, Canada
Clayoquot Wilderness Resort truly is wilderness – you can’t get there by road, and an 11km boat trip to the very end of an astonishingly unspoilt Canadian backwater would take ages. However, when you go there, it will be by seaplane on a 45-minute hop from the concrete of Vancouver into the temperate rainforest – a location so special that UNESCO has bestowed its designation to make sure the Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve stays that way; all 600 pristine acres of it.
There are myriad ways to unwind or explore, and you’ll stay in one of just 25 opulent ‘prospector’ heavy canvas tents. The slow-cooked cuisine is amazing and you’ll be eating what grows nearby and can be foraged for you. But while you can go hiking, fishing or horse-riding throughout the fresh, invigorating and silent forests, for us the unique excitement is in the wildlife observation possibilities. There are few other places where you can see – from a safe distance, we must add – huge black bears ambling unconcerned along foreshores, searching for tasty crustacean or wild berries, or lazing in the grass. And, from the security of the resort’s own hard-bottomed Zodiac boats, local whale-watching is like nothing else you’ll have witnessed. It could be grey, humpback or killer (orca) whales making their majestic migration through the sound – of the 45ft greys alone there are some 20,000 passing by en route from Mexico to Alaska each year, with a handful of permanent residents. You’ll probably see the orca in pods of two or three, while every year the humpback migration gets bigger and bigger.
Clayoquot is an authentically and utterly wild diversity of ecosystems waiting to be explored.
At A Glance…
- Choice of 25 luxury white canvas prospector-style tents arranged along the water’s edge and on the hillside overlooking the estuary.
- A short seaplane ride from Vancouver Airport located at the very centre of the biosphere – a 600-acre adventure playground.
- Packages include dozens of equestrian, fresh and salt water, and restorative activities for guests of all ages and experience levels.
- Cuisine rooted in sustainable, locally grown, foraged and harvested ingredients sourced almost entirely from Clayoquot Sound and Vancouver Island, and delivered daily to the resort by boat. Prepared by a team of Relais & Chateaux class artisan chefs.
Why 360 Loves It…
- Get to stay in unique, luxury tents with an authentic and traditional feel, there are only 25 residences meaning that the service you receive will be impeccable.
- ‘Healing Grounds Spa’ where guests can partake in yoga and wellness classes as well as restorative treatments set in a perfect, remote location. Treatments include massages, facials and body treatments.
- Set in Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve containing some of the world’s last remaining untouched ancient temperate rainforests.
- Superb range of activities from whale and bear watching to paddle boarding and kayaking. Clayoquot will provide you with everything you need in order to take part in these activities.