Castello di Procopio, Umbria
Sitting above the Tiber Valley, astride the mountains between Umbria and Tuscany at 580m above sea level, the magnificent Castello di Procopio may have been restored this century but the landmark dates back in the 1400s.
The view across the valley to such Umbrian gems as Assisi and Spello is utterly stunning, and you’ll savour it all the time when your have drinks and eat on the two delightful terraces throughout your stay. Lunch and dinner are specially prepared for you and your guests by the exceptionally talented resident chef.
We love the comfortable and individual grandeur of the rooms, from their open fireplaces and ancient frescoes to the velvet curtains and wonderful old tapestries. Every aspect has a deep patina of history, although thankfully the super-modern bathrooms are anything but Mediaeval.
As the castle is close to some of Italy’s most fertile agricultural land, you can just imagine the quality of the local produce; if your tastebuds aren’t starting to dance already at the thought of Umbrian cheese, wine, truffles, olive oil, honey, bread and prosciutto then that’s a doubly-good reason to book a stay here with your 360 Partner. The place is equidistant from Rome and Florence, each about two hours away. And for those arriving privately, Perugia airport is just 20 minutes by car.
As well as the amazing countryside and local towns for you to explore (there’s abundant natural beauty and art treasures stretching in just about every direction), the owners can lay on all sorts of unique activities. Everything from driving classic cars around the rolling countryside and historic towns to foraging for your own truffles, hunting wild boar, playing golf nearby, and even being invited into the superb kitchen to hone your own Italian cooking skills or into the atmospheric cellar for a sommelier-led wine tasting.
You could even value the odd overcast day here. There’s a brand new and fully equipped gym deep in the castle’s cellars as a disciplined antidote to all the edible temptation on offer… Don’t worry if you’re feeling lazy, there’s a hammam and a therapy room where infinitely talented masseuse Martina excels at relieving all aches and pains.
At A Glance…
- The Castello di Procopio is an elegantly restored 8 bedroom castle that is available to rent for exclusive use. It is located in the mountains between Umbria and Tuscany.
- There are eight suites that have all been luxuriously furnished with unique interior. The fireplaces, velvet drapes, renaissance tapestries, frescoes, artwork, antique furniture and stunning views harmonise to create the unique atmosphere of the property.
- Dining options at Castello di Procopio include dining at the ancient long table, facing the fireplace surrounded by historical artwork, some with a contemporary twist. The in-house chef serves seasonal delicacies sourced from the finest local ingredients.
- There are also a number of outdoor spaces, including a stunning rooftop terrace, that offer spectacular views of the Tiber Valley.
Why 360 Loves It…
- From the tranquility of your own bath, you can look out onto the unspoilt Umbrian hills.
- Experiences at Castello di Procopio include truffle hunting, a really special experience in Umbria whereby you will follow the truffle hounds through the woods and experience the surge of excitement as they locate the edible treasure. Other activities include cooking lessons, horse riding and cycling tours of the local area, allowing you to really get off the beaten track.
- Umbria hosts a jazz festival that is recognised at international level: Umbria Jazz takes place in mid July across a number of the region’s towns, hosting both classic musicians as well as the more avant-garde.
- A trip to Italy would not be complete without tasting their wine. Visit Montefalco for its outstanding Sagrantino wine, Montepulciano for its Vino Nobile or Chianti is just a short drive away, over the hill into Tuscany.