Bisate Lodge, Rwanda
If you’re looking for a complete break from your normal routine and the chance to do something meaningful, a stay at Bisate Lodge is our hearty recommendation.
In this enchanting spot in Rwanda, not far from the Volcanoes National Park, your hands-on help in restoring the rainforest environment will be absolutely invaluable. By joining in with other guests, volunteers and the local community, you’ll be rebuilding the natural ecosystem in which endangered primates can continue to thrive. That’s right, you’ll actually be planting tropical trees that, once fully grown, will be home to monkeys and exotic birds.
The work is in the spirit of the late Dian Fossey, the compassionate American zoologist whose study of mountain gorillas – the movie Gorillas In The Mist was inspired by her work – brought the survival peril of these wonderful creatures to the attention of the world.
On your ‘days off’, Bisate Lodge offers unforgettable treks to see the mountain gorillas themselves in the Park, as well as sensational bird-watching, respectful tracking of golden monkeys, and wonderful guided walks through this precious, sprawling natural haven.
Your reward? Well, you’ll be resident in splendid comfort at the Lodge, with its vista of the Bisoke and Karisimbi volcano tips above the forests. You’ll occupy one of just six beautiful, self-contained villas with private verandas for the breath-taking views unspoilt by any unnatural light sources or industrial eyesores.
They’re both locally rustic and ultra-comfortable, and the lounge, dining area and bar are welcoming and relaxing so your evenings are spent reliving your unique experiences while exploring a rather sensational wine cellar. It’s a holiday ‘project’ that, we think, you’ll be proud to contribute to.
At A Glance…
- Bisate Lodge is located in the natural amphitheatre of an extinct volcanic cone, in Rwanda often referred to as The Country of a Thousand Hills.
- A collection of six spherical, unique thatched structures on wooden decks dotted around the Rwandan landscape with sophisticated architecture and interior design.
- One of the main attractions when visiting Rwanda is gorilla trekking, treks take place daily where you will be allocated to one of the twelve habituated gorilla groups for a one hour encounter.
Why 360 Loves It…
- We love the location of Bisate Lodge, situated so that you are close enough to Kinigi Park to be convenient for your morning gorilla trek rendezvous however far enough away to feel remote and part of the spectacular Volcanoes National Park.
- A huge focus on community and conservation projects runs through Bisate Lodge.
- Tracking of the golden monkeys is another thrilling experience – these beautiful animals are endemic to the area and live in groups of up to 30.