Belmond Andean Explorer, Peru
There are four different journeys you can take as part of Belmond’s brand new – introduced in 2017 – schedule of luxury overnight train trips around Peru. The one we love has two utterly cossetting nights aboard and takes you along one of the highest rail routes on earth.
You set out from Cusco, the Inca Empire’s ancient capital, cross the spectacular Andean plains, and head on to Lake Titicaca, the biggest and certainly the most awe-inspiring lake in the whole of South America. Stops en route means you can explore the vast Colca Canyon, and at the journey’s end we know you’ll love the city of Arequipa, a cherished UNESCO World Heritage site.
Between the tour hardpoints, and along every mile of this amazing journey – seen from the observation car with their abundantly-stocked cocktail bar – you’ll enjoy indulgent comfort, wonderful beds, mouth-watering food and a contemporary design environment that’s a stepchange from the faux-Victoriana you’ll find on other luxury sleepers. The train can take no more than 48 travellers, with a retinue of 50 staff to look after everything you’ll want, including proven (and delicious) concoctions to combat altitude sickness!
And for anyone whose daily train journey involves the grind of commuting to the office, we have more great news. Mobile reception is terrible, so you really will be getting away from every aspect of normal train travel to revel in Peru’s natural beauty, and the new pride of its railways.
At A Glance…
- One of the highest rail routes in the world and South America’s first luxury sleeper train.
- Four journeys to choose from, staying for either 1 or 2 nights in stylish accommodation.
- All cabins have en-suite bathrooms as well as air conditioning and in-built oxygen for comfort at high levels.
- Two fine dining carriages for you to experience Peruvian flavours put together by acclaimed chefs.
Why 360 Loves It…
- Unique spa treatments available on the train as you weave in and out of the Andes mountains. The Andean Ritual is an 80 minute treatment featuring a clay wrap of local flowers and coca leaves to harmonise the body and mind.
- Combine your journey with a longer trip in Peru, to discover even more of this wonderful South American country.
- Stand in the breeze on the open air viewing deck on the observation car and take in the stunning Peruvian vistas.
- The baby grand piano in the lounge car.