Annandale, New Zealand
There’s absolutely no way you could ever call Annandale a resort. Despite the stunning coastline and breathtaking views of the glittering Pacific ocean, you’re on a working 4000-acre farm where the grazing herds of 500 Angus cattle and up to 14,000 Romney sheep dot the landscape of rocky outcrops and wind-blown tussock grass.
There are a mere four villas, all exceedingly beautiful in their own way and some distance apart. The enchanting Shepherd’s Cottage is just for two under its vaulted ceiling, while Seascape is an ultra-modern glass-fronted house which seems to float just above the lapping waves; it boasts an outdoor spa pool and fireplace and a dramatically rugged outlook to contrast with its sparing, contemporary feel.
We really love the old fashioned verandah of the restored 19th century Homestead, which can sleep up to 12, and has its own heated pool and even a private tennis court. Meanwhile, Scrubby Bay accommodates 14, which makes it ideal for an unforgettable family reunion. It’s a wonderful beach house in a magical setting between two hills.
Annandale is a remote place to be stirringly outdoors as much as you can. There’s masses to do, including mountain-biking, kayaking, hiking and clay pigeon shoots, and for those who want to absorb the wildlife, nature cruises and, well, just being in and around the farm itself.
Cooking classes are also one for us because of Annandale’s signature farm-to-table food ethos. Most of what you’ll eat is sourced right there, whether you create it yourself, cook with dishes specially prepared in advance for your party, or opt for the private chef to satisfy those ravenous appetites after so much fresh air and coastal invigoration.
At A Glance…
- Annandale is set on a working sheep and cattle coastal farm, along the scenic Banks Peninsula on the South Island.
- Four unique, luxurious villas each with their own distinctive character with privacy and relaxation absolutely guaranteed.
- Loads of activities and things to see and do both on the farm as well as in Akaroa, situated a 30 minute drive from Annandale.
Why 360 Loves It…
- We love the different accommodations, all being able to cater for a range of group sizes.
- Annandale offers ‘We Create, You Serve’ dining option – meals delivered to your villa cooked by award-winning chefs with easy to follow instructions for the finishing touches so you can enjoy your meal within the comfort of your villa.
- A great stay if you are doing a multi-destination trip.